- PurgoMalum is a simple, free, RESTful web service for filtering and removing content of profanity, obscenity and other unwanted text. PurgoMalum's interface accepts several parameters for customization and can return results in plain text, XML and JSON.
- Mosh: the mobile shell
- Remote terminal application that allows roaming, supports intermittent connectivity, and provides intelligent local echo and line editing of user keystrokes.
- NX Free Edition: A complete solution for remote access to your Linux or Solaris workstation. It allows 2 users to connect at the same time no matter what their location is, and share the desktop. NX Free Edition is incredibly easy to install and run, leverages the competence and quality of the company that makes NX and, most importantly, is free forever.
- Advanced time tracking (paid) tailored to freelance/small business, with extensive reporting, git/svn integration and APIs.
- This is a password hasher implemented as a bookmarklet. It enables you to use strong and secure unique passwords per website, while you only need to memorize easy and weak versions of them.
- Edge Prediction in a Social Graph
- Comparison of different algorithm performance for edge prediction with visuals and Scala examples
- gist.io: writing for hackers
- Gist Markdown converter to a public webpage (without code-like presentation)
- Create a public gist on Github with one or more Markdown-syntax files.
- Note the gist ID number. It’s usually a longish number like 29388372.
- View your writing presented nicely at gist.io/gist-id-here
- Dozen Books For You
- Free book recommendations based on ratings of books previously read. Requires Twitter sign in
- The Adventures of Alice Holmes: Sherlock in Wonderland
- Text automatically generated using character-based 15th-order Markov chain, trained on The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
- Elementary math exercise generator
PaaS / Services / Resources
- Image service. Free Plan - 500 MB Storage, 1G Monthly Bandwidth, 50K Images
- Unlimited private repositories to collaborate on your code – Git or Mercurial. Free for 5 users.
Tutorials / Reference
- LinkedIn Gem
- Uses devise, linkedin and twitter-bootstrap-rails
- RSpec presentation
- Acceptance testing slide deck
- TDD Anti-Primer
- Failure and success of making simple Sudoku solver - with and without TDD
- Indirectly related, but illustrates the approach - "brilliant" quote from earlier Ron's post about his Haskell attempt to do implement bowling scoring:
- “In this case, it doesn’t work. My guess is that it cannot be made to work, which of course just about guarantees that I myself will probably never make it work, because I’ve dropped that potential thread of development as being unproductive. I’m sure that to make it work, I’d have to go into some kind of analysis mode that I generally don’t enter — and even then, I don’t expect it to work.”
- Step by step from jQuery to Backbone
- Example of refactoring of jQuery code to Backbone.js
- How to make HTML5 Video Player
- The tutorial aims to cover the steps to create a HTML Video Player
- Extensive font collection by Adobe
- Free collection f subtle backgrounds
- Easily compare digital photo cameras
- Droste Effect in Photoshop
- The Droste effect is an image effect named after a Dutch cocoa company called Droste. In 1904 it produced packaging for its cocoa product showing a woman carrying a tray with a box of cocoa and a cup on it. A small version of the package appeared on the cocoa box on the tray and so on – each version of the image being successively smaller than the last.
- US scenic drives. "Your single destination for day trips, weekend getaways, and cross-country adventures."
- Assorted (and, hopefully, useful) information.